Two days ago I wrote about assumptions and a test I signed up for. Here is a review of the steps:
- Today, I want you to lay out 3 assumptions you have that are holding you back
- In the next 48 hours, I want you to test them
- 48 hours from now, share the results of your research
- I will never be able to be more than a computer guy at work.
- I won’t be able to motivate my friends to live life to the fullest
- I can’t start a citizen group in my town because I am young and inexperienced.
How I plan to test my assumptions:
- I will talk to my boss at work about being more active in addition to my duties.
- I will talk with each of my friends and tell them about I want to truly live life. I want to work together to do that.
- I will setup a time to hold a citizens meeting that I will lead.
Friday, I sent Ramit my results:
- I talked to my boss and he pointed me to another co-worker. That was a dead end. My manager was very supportive, and now I have to find someone who can really help me expand my role.
- I talked with two friends. One I will get to see this weekend, another, Steve, has agreed to sign up for this blog and embrace the commitment Dave and I have made. I am very excited about this.
- I didn’t do anything with this one.
My feelings. 1.75 out of 3 isn’t terrible, I could have done better.
I still want to talk with another friend and tell him how I feel, but I’m glad Steve-o is on board, and I look forward to meeting my other friend this weekend. I’m please with these results, but if I’m brutally honest, I should have talked to all three by now.
I am moving forward at work and trying to find some place to help out. I’ll continue to search for people who may be able to point me in the right direction. Until then I am developing one idea I have so I have something substantial to bring to the table, not just ideas.
I didn’t make a move on the citizens meeting. No excuses, I should have booked a room at the library. Part of my hesitation is, do I really want to do this. It’s a pretty big commitment, and I’m not sure I want to commit to that direction.
I would like to throw down the same challenge to Dave and Steve. Do it, post 3 assumptions and actions to overcome on this blog, and then follow up 48 hours later with your results.